In 1904, Thief River Falls became a prairie oddity-a two-railroad town. Nine years later the Soo Line railroad built a new depot, designed in the Craftsman-style by Minneapolis architects William Kenyon and Maurice Maine, to demonstrate its superiority over the other regional line, the Great Northern Railway. The Soo Line’s subsequent construction of a roundhouse, mechanic shop, and derrick house, along with other investments, made the city a regional rail hub. By 1961 the railroad’s local operations had ceased. The depot met a different fate when the city purchased and restored it for offices and to serve as a reminder of the remarkable railroad history in Thief River Falls.
- Who We Are
- Get Involved