St. Paul, MN – September 16, 2005 The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota saluted the efforts of 13 projects and individuals during the organization’s 21st annual Minnesota Preservation Awards program held at Glensheen Mansion in Duluth on September 15. The awards represented a wide-range of historic preservation efforts from individual projects to large-scale commercial endeavors.
Alliance Chair, Roger D. Randall, noted “The annual meeting provides a great forum for members to come together and celebrate what we have accomplished over the past year. The awards program amplifies that point by celebrating notable preservation successes. It is particularly gratifying to see such a wide variety of efforts which demonstrate that good preservation can be accommodated on any scale.”
2005 Minnesota Preservation Award honorees, in no particular order, are:
Fred Moore Middle School Calendar Club
Community Service Award – Each year since 2000, students from Moore Middle School’s Calendar Club, have produced a calendar highlighting Anoka’s history. Working with the Anoka County Historical Society and the City of Anoka’s Heritage Preservation Commission the students research historic photos, events and pioneers and produce the calendar which is sold throughout the community.
LeDuc Historic Estate
Restoration Award – Through an effort that involved many participants including; the State of Minnesota, Minnesota Historical Society, Scenic Byways program, Dakota County Historical Society, City of Hastings, Institute of Museum and Library Services, LeDuc-Simmons Foundation, Friend of LeDuc, individuals and businesses, this house, built in 1865, has been transformed into a period museum reflecting its late Victorian era. The home and grounds situated along highway 61 was built by William LeDuc a prominent Civil War officer, local businessman and U. S. Commissioner of Agriculture under President Rutherford Hayes. Project architects for the restoration were MacDonald and Mack Architects, Ltd., Minneapolis.
The Riley-Jacques Barn Rehabilitation
Restoration Award – Reborn as a centerpiece of the city’s Riley Lake Park, the 1920s Riley-Jacques Barn functions today as a seasonal facility for dances, concerts, youth programs and other gatherings. During the restoration process many of the barn’s original features and construction details were maintained including stanchions and stall areas in the building’s lower level. Through the efforts of the City of Eden Prairie the barn will stand as a reminder of the suburb’s rural heritage. Miller Dunwiddie Architecture, Minneapolis, served as architects on the project.
University of Minnesota, Southeast Steam Plant
Restoration Award – Located on the east bank of the Mississippi River at the foot of the historic Stone Arch Bridge, the Southeast Steam Plant began life in the early 1900s as a back-up power source for the city’s extensive street car system. In 1976 it was acquired by the University to generate steam heat for the Minneapolis campus and Fairview University Hospital, but age had taken a toll on the facility’s massive brick and stone exterior. Today after an extensive program that upgraded power generation capabilities and restored its deteriorating façade, the building stands as a functional monument to its historic riverfront roots. Judge’s commented on the unique nature of the restoration and its wonderful expression as a focal point along the Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis. Architects for the project were Miller Dunwiddie Architecture, historical consultants were Hess, Roise and Company, and McGough Construction served as general contractor, all of Minneapolis.
Friends of Henderson Heritage Preservation
Community Effort Award – This non-profit, volunteer organization is dedicated to the restoration and preservation of the community’s historic Main Street and their work over the past 10 years has shown tremendous success. Through the group’s efforts the city established a Heritage Preservation Commission, launched Henderson Heritage Days and fostered the restoration of historic 1870′s-90′s brick commercial buildings along the city’s Main Street. Today tourism and economic development have been realized in the community because of the Friend’s efforts.
Cogel/Betcher and Phelps Blocks
Restoration Award – Standing at the convergence of the city’s Heritage Mall and Historic Downtown District, the restoration of these two buildings create a prominent gateway. The Phelps Block constructed in 1866 features a round-arched Romanesque style façade which provides a visual contrast to the adjacent Cogel/Betcher Block’s Italianate style which was built in 1874. The project involved total interior rehabilitation, installation of new mechanical systems and returning the building’s brick exteriors from a painted finish. Commercial and residential are located on upper floors while several businesses and the city’s Chamber of Commerce occupy street level space. The project’s developers are Carol Duff, Red Wing and Allman and Associates, Rochester.
Sumner Community Library
Addition/ Expansion Award – Built in 1915 this historic Carnegie Library serves the Near North Community in Minneapolis. The original building underwent expansions in 1927 and 1939 prior to the current effort that included an expansive vaulted reading room and lower level community room. The library’s interior and exterior have National Register of Historic Places designation. Extensive interior restoration work was accomplished during the project in addition to the expansion. The project’s architect was KKE Architects, Inc. and the building owner is the Minneapolis Public Library Board.
Red Wing Iron Works
Adaptive Reuse Award – Built in 1866 the Red Wing Iron Works is the city’s oldest industrial building. The building occupies a strategic downtown site between the historic St. James Hotel and Levee Street. While the building’s interior was altered to create dramatic housing units overlooking the Mississippi River, the building’s exterior was sensitively restored to its mid-19th century appearance. Historic signage was restored to its original appearance. The judge’s noted, “the reuse was very creative for this historically important building.” The building’s owner and developer was Red Wing Hotel Corporation, a subsidiary of Red Wing Shoe Company, has been active in the city’s preservation efforts for three decades.
Thomas (Tom) Hagen
Stewardship Award – As a college professor and cultural geographer, Tom Hagen has practiced his trade in historic restoration techniques since he was a college student at Minnesota State University – Mankato. A log cabin restoration project was the first building that he saved from demolition. It was disassembled and reassembled to a hillside site in North Mankato overlooking the Minnesota River Valley. Other projects have included rebuilding of the Adam Jefferson House, originally built in 1865. The home was constructed out of 220 tons of limestone all of which was moved and reset during the five year reconstruction process. Two of his earliest projects, The DuBois Barn and farm house originally built in 1897, were both buildings that Hagen restored in the 1970′s. The award judge’s called Hagen’s work, “an outstanding individual effort for preservation.”
Adaptive Reuse Award – Originally constructed in 1886 as the Hunstiger Cash and Carry Meat Market, numerous alterations over the years took their toll on the building’s red brick exterior and streetscape character. Today wood and granite elements have been removed, windows were replaced to match the historic design context and interior space was renovated to accommodate offices. The judge’s felt the sensitive reuse preserved the feeling of the historic downtown district. GLT Architects, St. Cloud directed the restoration program.
Dietrich Omeyer Home Porch Restoration
Restoration Award – In 1889 St. Paul architect Dietrich Omeyer designed a home for himself at 808 Goodrich Avenue in the city’s Crocus Hill neighborhood. The result was a remarkable Queen Anne residence rich in color and detail. When Mark Nedoroski purchased the home five ago he began the task of replacing some of the details that had been lost. In 2004 he tackled the biggest project, restoring the Queen Anne front porch. Armed with original design drawings Nedoroski hired Robert Hengelfelt of Hengelfelt Restorations to rebuild the details.
Thompson Summer Cottage
Restoration Award – Built in 1887 for Minneapolis attorney, Charles Telford Thompson (1853-1914) the Thompson Cottage is one of the last non-winterized grand 1880s cottages built on Lake Minnetonka. Two years ago a sensitive restoration was undertaken to rebuild the cottage’s wrap around porch and deteriorating foundation. Restoration work was conducted by Wes Foss, Statewide Construction, who is married to Thompson’s great-great granddaughter, Debbie. The eight month project was the subject of a three-part Public Broadcasting Hometime series.
Commercial Printing Office
Restoration Award – An 1893 souvenir book pictures 308 North First Street as a two-story storefront housing a commercial printing business. Over time it evolved into the community’s post office and later, during a 30-40 year time period it housed a café and tavern. Last year Keith and Kevin Hein, through Chippewa Preservation Partnership, transformed the building into commercial space while maintaining its storefront façade and brick and cornice details. Sabongi Consulting Group, Inc., St. Paul, served as architects and construction consultants on the project.