St. Paul, MN – October 26, 2004 – The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota has named 16 projects and groups as honorees in the organization’s 2004 Minnesota Preservation Awards. The program, now in its 20th year, is designed to recognize historic preservation efforts large and small across the state in a variety of categories including adaptive reuse, preservation, restoration, community efforts, stewardship and advocacy. This year’s awards program is sponsored by Foth & Van Dyke and Associates, Inc. specialists in cultural resource management in Minnesota and surrounding states.Awards were presented at the Alliance’s annual meeting held in conjunction with The 25th Annual Statewide Historic Preservation Conference in St. Cloud on September 23rd. Minnesota First Lady, The Honorable Mary Anderson Pawlenty, provided the keynote address at the presentation.
“Preservation programs provide a wonderful quality of life and community identity backdrop for places across Minnesota. We are pleased that this program has been able to recognize these efforts for 20 years now,” noted Alliance Chair, Tom Schroeder. “These projects are an important part of our community fabric.”
2004 honorees are:
Cedar Rose Inn Bed and Breakfast
Bed and Breakfast Award – This Queen Ann style home, constructed in the early 1900’s, stands as a centerpiece in the city’s “Silk Stocking District”, a residential area of 59 homes that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Cedar Rose was built by Noah Ward, a local grocer who was one of the city’s most successful businessmen. The home maintains all its original exterior features including oversized gables and diamond-paned windows. Interior features include maple flooring, oak woodwork and numerous stained glass windows. The Inn’s owners, Florian and Aggie Ledderman, provide the experience of turn of the century life to guests by maintaining the character and furnishings of the house.
St. Luke’s Church
Restoration Award – Built in 1882, the church served an active Episcopal congregation until the 1940’s. The church was purchased and owned privately until 2001 when it was donated to the Browns Valley Historical Society. Shortly after accepting the gift the Society began the painstaking process of restoring its interior. Pews were created from a single original example that had been left. The church organ, which had been in the Brown family for nearly 70 years, was donated back to the Society and window designed were replicated. Doors and period hardware were used to replace missing exterior elements.
Van Campen House
Adaptive Reuse Award – This ornate Italianate structure was built in 1866 by Benjamin Van Campen, a prominent local settler. In later years it served as an apartment house before being abandoned and slated for demolition. In 2001, a local marketer of specialty gifts and collectables, Midwest of Cannon Falls, purchased the home, moved it to a site near their headquarters and restored its detail as a showcase facility for its products. The adaptive reuse, by Minneapolis architect, Laurel Ulland, has maintained the building’s interior detailing and exterior features while allowing it to serve its new commercial purpose.
Friends of the Cemetery
Advocacy Award – At the busy intersection of Lake and Cedar Streets in Minneapolis is a 27 acre cemetery that was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. The Minneapolis Pioneers and Soldiers Memorial Cemetery, also known at Laymen’s Cemetery, is the final resting place of an estimated 27,000 that were buried there between 1853 and 1919. Only a limited number of burials have occurred since 1919. “Friends” was organized to protect the integrity of the cemetery and build public awareness for its importance in Minneapolis history. The group issues newsletters, hosts walking tours and been involved in cemetery planting projects and grave marker restoration.
Chaska History Center
Adaptive Reuse – Built as the Brinkhaus Saloon Livery Barn, this small commercial building has played host to various business uses since its construction in 1875. It sat empty in downtown Chaska for several years before its current owner, the City of Chaska, acquired it. Today, through an extensive adaptive reuse design by MacDonald and Mack Architects, Minneapolis, the building houses the offices of the Chaska Chamber of Commerce and the Chaska Historical Society. The building’s location on an open plaza that connects to the Chaska City Hall and library creates an intimate civic center setting for the History Center. Built of local “Chaska brick”, the building has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1980.
Minnesota Office of the State Archaeologist
Stewardship Award – This state agency has provided significant leadership and stewardship across Minnesota regarding the state’s archaeological history. Building public awareness has been a key objective with the creation of Minnesota Archaeology Week and education initiatives. Additional efforts have included issuing a publication on Minnesota Indian mounds and burial sites. The award recognizes that the activity of this office have been well beyond what the law requires.
District 12 School House
Restoration Award – This one room, 18 X 30 foot school house was built in 1888 for $400 and designed for a 30 student capacity. The building served as a school until 1921 when it was sold to a local farmer to serve as a storage building, smoke house, tool shed and garage for the next 80 years. In 2000 the building was donated to the Oakdale Lake Elmo Historical Society, who moved it to the Oakdale Nature Center and began the restoration process. Today the District 12 School House serves as a reminder of the state’s early public education facilities as well as a meeting room and storage facility for the Historical Society.
Historic City Hall
Restoration Award – Like city halls in small towns across Minnesota, Pelican Rapid’s municipal building housed a fire hall, city hall, meeting hall and library. As these multifunction uses moved into buildings of their own the 1900 City Hall building was modified over the years beyond recognition. A brick front replaced arched fire hall doors and a bell cupola that topped the building was removed. In 2002 the estate of Roy and Isabel Thompson donated funds to restore the building to its original appearance. Interior and exterior restorations have returned tin type ceilings, bricked doors and windows have been reopened and the bell and cupola replaced. Architects directing the project were Schultz Torgerson Architects, Fargo.
LaPak/Larson Site and Farmhouse
Adaptive Reuse/Restoration Award – Since it was built in 1896, the LaPak/Larson farmhouse had only three owners until it was purchased by the City of Shoreview in 2000. Recognizing the building’s historic value as one of its oldest structures, the city decided to restore it for use as offices for the community’s Housing Resource Center, rather than seek demolition and sale of the site for development. The restoration project, under the direction of Minneapolis architectural firm Miller Dunwiddie Architects, replaced many of the home’s original features that had been altered or lost including exterior Chaska brick, a chimney and windows. The structure’s original porch design was also restored.
City of St. Cloud
Community Effort Award – The City of St. Cloud, long involved in encouraging historic property restoration, has in recent years undertaken a significant public and visitor awareness program to showcase historic sites communitywide. These efforts have included working in numerous partnerships to develop historic walking tour brochures and guidebooks. Efforts have included guided and self-guided tours of five city neighborhoods. Recently the City purchased a historic trolley that provides guided tours of historic downtown St. Cloud.
St. James Opera House
Restoration Award – The St. James Opera House Restoration Project, Inc. is a non-profit organization founded in 1995 to raise money for the restoration of the community’s historic opera house. The Queen Anne style structure built in 1892 of red brick and trimmed in Kasota Stone is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Restoration work has included uncovering and replacement of windows, constructing a new roof, streetscape improvements and interior work. Architects for the project are Paulsen Architects, Mankato.
Monastery Main Building, College of Saint Benedict
Adaptive Reuse – Since its construction in 1882 the Monastery Main Building has served multiple purposes on the college campus. The latest reuse modernized the buildings interior into 38 housing units and first floor administrative offices and updated mechanical systems for its owner, the Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict. As part of the adaptive reuse the building’s exterior was restored to its original appearance including its arched portico that connects it with other buildings in the cloister. The Monastery, along with other campus structures was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. GLTArchitects, St. Cloud, served as architects on the project.
St. Peter Herald
Restoration Award – Constructed in 1873, the St. Peter Herald Building, originally housed the Miller Meat Market, before it became home to the city’s newspaper in 1905. Over subsequent years, remodeling and additions had altered the look of the stone commercial building at 331 South Minnesota Avenue. In 2002 Jim Huckle, owner of the Herald, retained Vetter Johnson Architects, Minneapolis and Ron Bishop Construction to restore the façade to it’s 1880’s appearance. The project involved window and entrance replacement and refinishing the original cast iron columns that grace the building’s entrance.
City of Waseca
Community Effort Award – The City of Waseca, under Mayor Tom Hagen, has undertaken numerous preservation activities since 2000. An early project, the Armstrong Warehouse, faced demolition when the city, working with a private developer, saved the property. Today reuse is nearly complete on a multi-million dollar project that includes offices, a bed and breakfast and restaurant. The city’s Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad Depot faced a demolition fate as well until the City stepped in and restored the structure into a new visitor’s center. The City is currently developing a Main Street program and has committed funding to assist downtown businesses in the restoration of historic facades.
Winona County Courthouse Exterior Restoration
Restoration – Designed by the Winona architectural firm of Maybury and Son and constructed by local artisans in 1889, this Richardsonian building has survived numerous natural and potential manmade disasters. Threatened by the wrecking ball in 1958, 1960 and 1967, county voters approved a referendum to preserve and remodel the building in 1971. Subsequent deterioration of the courthouse’s exterior and major water damage to its interior in 2000 facilitated the need for major preservation work. This most recent exterior restoration effort, directed by the Rochester architectural firm, Kane and Johnson Architects, will assure the building’s useful life long into the future. The courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Historic Dayton House
Adaptive Reuse/Restoration Award – Constructed in 1890 as the family home of George Draper Dayton, a local banker and businessman, who later founded the Minneapolis department store company which evolved into Target Corporation. The landmark house has been restored as a community center and museum. With a gift from Dayton’s descendants, a local non-profit organization, Historic Worthington, purchased the home in 2002 and took on the formidable task of restoring turn of the century elegance to a building that served as a nursing home and boarding house and had received numerous modifications over the years. River Architects, Inc., La Crosse, Wisconsin served as consulting architects on the project.